rentals & accommodations
by owner - world
Ceol na Mara – Your Holiday Home on the Atlantic
in Gleesk, Sneem, Kerry, Ireland
“Ceol na Mara” is the Gaelic for “Music of the Seas”.
The name reflects the origins of the house: it was built in 1970 by
a musician; the distant murmuring of the ocean is a harmonic accompaniment
to the peacefulness of the surroundings
Ceol na Mara was built and furnished as a holiday home for the family,
who at that time were still living in Dublin. Pictures, small works
of art, books – mainly on flora and fauna – as well as many
other personal details quickly make the visitor feel he or she is staying
in something more than the normal rental home. This house has a history
– here people lived, celebrated, gardened, enjoyed themselves,
and left pleasant traces of all this.
The House and the Garden:
Property: 3300m²/0.85 acres
Garden: about half of this area is fenced off for grazing sheep
Total living area: approx. 70m²
Living-/dining area: approx. 21m²
2 bedrooms, living-room, kitchen, bathroom. 5 beds in total.
- living-room with open fireplace
- bedrooms with 2 beds each (linen can be rented)
- the sofa can be converted to a comfortable bed for one person
- bathroom with toilet, bath and shower
- kitchen with electric ceran-top cooker and oven, dishwasher, fridge,
coffee-maker, toaster, washing-/drying machine
- music centre
- night storage heating, open fireplace (for which fuel can be easily
obtained in Sneem)
- garden furniture, sun-beds, a barbecue and a fire-basket for the
Sorry – no dogs (also on account of the sheep)
The house is situated on a slope overlooking the ocean, at the end of
a small road off the Ring of Kerry. The sea is a 5-minute walk away,
with swimming possible at two small beaches. Larger sandy beaches are
about 20 minutes away by car.
There is a good spot for sea-fishing nearby (mackeral, pollock)
The nearest shopping facilities are in Sneem, about 20 minutes by car
The closest larger town is the pretty fishing port of Kenmare with its
large selection of restaurants and cafes (including a 2-star restaurant)
and all sorts of shops offering Irish products as gifts.
- relaxing, reading, listening to music, cooking, eating, drinking
- mountain-walking (e.g. to the Staigue Fort, or to Sneem, or in
the mountains in Killarney National Park
- kayaking (eskies on hire near Sneem)
- trips to e.g. Dingle, Valentia, Bantry, Glengariff, the Skellig
Information on all this is available in the house.
How To Get There:
By air and car rental:
The closest airport is Kerry Airport – about 2 hours’ drive
Shannon Airport: approx. 3 hours by car.
Dublin Airport: approx. 6 hours by car.
>> Summer cottage <<